Exemplory instance of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a particular kind of art that will help to comprehend the present-day history also to understand how the primary tendencies of social development in the past were formed.
Talk about formation of designs at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture at the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules while the maxims of plot construction, reflecting the idea of orderliness and perfection associated with universe, nature and culture.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the last half for the eighteenth century was meant to teach and educate on examples and pictures that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the indisputable fact that all evil may be overcome.
Within our literary works as much as the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing exactly the same goal: to help make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality as well as the rules of human behavior. Techniques to achieve this goal within the philosophy of classicism were understood to be the assertion of the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and had been according to a clear division of artistic designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies when the foundation associated with the plot is definitely important historical occasions, and actors – the gods and strongest of the world, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These were caused by the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could simply be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed the definition of “low” genres. Obligatory observance of this unity of time, place, action and rules of constructing tragedy and drama with visibility, zygote, development of action, culmination and resolution limited the likelihood of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the bond of cause and effect, quality expression regarding the main concept of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to use the way of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image associated with the inner realm of guy along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes can be found in the literature. The growth of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the eye of both writers and visitors had been the fate of a typical person, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of styles
Hence, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be follows:
- The main topic of the image into the works of classicism are important, significant activities that determine the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the founded order as well as the determined span of events.
- In the exact middle of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is really a literary trend where the foundation of this artistic technique is the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task is to educate the sensory faculties, using an array of visual method for this purpose.
- The key genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres attribute of sentimentalism are really a novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational ideas on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner realm of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you are able to increase the whole society.